About the Artist
Katherine Gailer is a committed multidisciplinary artist. She graduated with honours from a Bachelor of Fine Arts and completed an Arts Management Masters Degree– both at RMIT University. Her Practice incorporates painting, drawing and graphic design.
My artistic expression underscores a main theme that looks at the complex relationship between fragility and strength, vulnerability and empowerment. My artworks can be interpreted as a series of confronting tensions to articulate the essence of the Feminine as a force of relatedness in our world today. My compositions call upon the wild woman, her connection to the land and explore the mysterious realms of the feminine underworld.
History of the western world reveals an intentional repression of the feminine viewpoint– leading to a dramatic disconnection to nature and our roots in something larger than ourselves. As primary carriers of the feminine energy in our culture, women embody vital qualities to restore our balance. My work embarks on a journey towards reclaiming the feminine powers, as they exist in the shadows, while resonating with the ever-changing flux of women experience: Explosive, mysterious and interconnected.
Awards and Recognitions include:
• Featured Artist Malaysia Art Expo Plus (KL, Malaysia)
• Featured Artist • Melbourne Fringe Festival Award
• Winning Exhibition Fifty Shades Of Blak’
• Finalist • 2017 Emerging Artist Awards (45 Downstairs Gallery, Melbourne)
• Finalist • 2017, Contemporary Art Awards (Australia)
• Finalist • 2015, Brisbane Art Prize (Australia)
• Finalist • 2014, Glencore Percival Portrait Painting Prize
• Awarded • 2014, 29th Chelsea International Art Competition (USA)
• Winner • 2011, Tolarno Hotel Annual Award (Australia)
• Winner • 2010, NMIT Print Making Annual Award (winner)