About the Artist
Katherine Gailer graduated with honours from a Bachelor of Fine Arts and completed an Arts Management Masters Degree– both at RMIT University. Her Practice incorporates painting, drawing and graphic design.
Originally from Colombia and currently working in Australia, Gailer draws on her diverse background to combine elements of sacred geometry, mythology, animals, and the spiritual realm, and pave the way for the development of a new archetypal imagery, steeped in primal feelings and strongly rooted in cultural and spiritual identity. Elements of balance and tension are often juxtaposed throughout her work, underscoring the main theme that looks at the complex relationship between fragility and strength, vulnerability and empowerment– elements which in essence come to articulate female experience.
Moreover the representation of the female subject is one of her core inspirations: the investigation of the female body as a symbol of sexuality, motherhood, beauty and ambiguity.
Awards and Recognitions include:
• Featured Artist Malaysia Art Expo Plus (KL, Malaysia)
• Featured Artist • Melbourne Fringe Festival Award
• Winning Exhibition Fifty Shades Of Blak’
• Finalist • 2017 Emerging Artist Awards (45 Downstairs Gallery, Melbourne)
• Finalist • 2017, Contemporary Art Awards (Australia)
• Finalist • 2015, Brisbane Art Prize (Australia)
• Finalist • 2014, Glencore Percival Portrait Painting Prize
• Awarded • 2014, 29th Chelsea International Art Competition (USA)
• Winner • 2011, Tolarno Hotel Annual Award (Australia)
• Winner • 2010, NMIT Print Making Annual Award (winner)